Neat has stopped working
Help! Neat has stopped working!
If you are seeing a “Neat Has Stopped Working” message and you have not yet updated to the latest version of Neat, we recommend first that you click here to download and install the latest update to 5.6. The latest version of the Neat software comes with many bug fixes and stability enhancements that may remedy the problem.
There are several things that could cause Neat to stop working. Below, we’ll walk you through a few processes that may remedy the issue.
Troubleshoot: Neat has stopped working
- Make certain that the Neat program has administrative rights when launching by right-clicking on the Neat icon and choosing ‘Run as administrator’. If your computer is running Windows 7, you may see a pop-up that asks, “Do you want the following program to make changes to this computer?” Click Yes.
- If this resolves the issue, right-click the Neat icon there and open Properties. In Properties, go to the Compatibility tab. Check the box that says Run as Administrator, and press Apply and OK. Neat will now always run with administrative permissions.
Other steps to try:
- Locate the idx folder and delete it. The idx folder is located inside your Neat Data folder. Click here for step-by-step instructions on deleting the idx folder.
- Locate your Neat Data folder. By default this is located in your Documents folder on your computer. Browse to the Documents folder and look for a folder called Neat Data. Inside the Neat Data folder look for the folder called QSP. Drag the QSP folder to your desktop. Try launching Neat once again. The QSP folder contains any files that are currently in your processing queue. The queue should be cleared. If there are items you need to try re-importing, click Import -> Image and browse to the QSP folder on your Desktop. Go into the Images folder to select the .bmp files that were previously in the queue.
- Click here to check for third party programs that may be conflicting with Neat.
- Click here to check your error log for more information on what might be causing the error. Once you find the most recent message in the error log, check the list of articles below for more information on the specific error message you are seeing:
- Neat crashes while starting or scanning
- Neat has stopped working: Specified argument out of range
- Neat has stopped working: Root element is missing
- Neat has stopped working: The specified procedure could not be found
- Neat has stopped working: Unable to remove the file to be replaced
- Neat has stopped working: Unexpected character encountered while parsing
- Neat has stopped working: Safe handle has been closed
- Neat has stopped working: Hexadecimal value 0x00 is an invalid character
If you are still having trouble resolving this issue, click the View Support Options button below to contact Technical Support.