Troubleshooting Send to Neat issues in Neat 5
In a small number of instances, the Send to Neat function of Neat 5 will not work properly after installation.
The first thing to check is to make sure that Neat is not currently running with administrative privileges.
Right-click on the Neat icon and choose Properties. Select the Compatibility tab at the top of the screen. Make sure Run as Administrator is unchecked.
If Send to Neat is still not working properly we may want to try some more in depth troubleshooting.
Frequently, this issue can be resolved by following the steps below:
1. Browse to the following location: C:\Program Files\Common Files\The Neat Company\Neat\Setup
- In this folder, there will be a file named SendToNeatx86, or SendToNeatx64. Right click the file and choose uninstall (if it says only valid for products installed click ok) Then right click the file again and choose Install
2. Next you will need to check your registry settings. To access the registry on a Windows 7 or Vista computer, click your Start button and click inside the Search box. Type regedit into the box and press Enter. To access the registry on a Windows XP computer, click on Start and then press Run. Type regedit into the box that appears, and press Enter.
3. In the window that appears, look on the left side, at the folder tree. Click on the arrow or plus sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then Software, followed by The Neat Company, and finally Send to Neat.
After clicking on Send to Neat, a set of values should appear in the large box on the right side. In this box, locate Client Application. Make sure there is a path there, and that it is pointing to one of the two locations:
On a 64-bit machine: C:\Program Files (x86)\Neat\exec\Neat.exe
On a 32-bit machine: C:\Program Files\Neat\exec\Neat.exe
NOTE: XP computers are typically all 32-bit.
If this path does not appear, please right-click on the Client Application line and select Modify. An empty box should appear. Enter the appropriate path above into the Value Data line, and press OK.
4. After checking this path, go back to the folder tree on the left, and this time navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER at the top of the list.
Expand this folder, then select Software, The Neat Company, and finally, Send to Neat. Check the Client Application listing here as well, and add the correct path once again if it is missing.
NOTE: It is important that both locations are checked– please be certain to check both HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
5. Close out of the registry.
6. After checking these entries, reopen Neat and try using Send to Neat once again. If it continues to fail, try closing Neat, and running Send to Neat with the Neat application closed.
7. If Send to Neat continues to fail after trying it with Neat closed and open, there may be something else blocking the program from functioning. Please try disabling and anti-virus or protection software you may have running, close Neat, and try using Send to Neat once again.